Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M850 GC - Carbon Black

Garage List
2022 M850 GC  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by micvite View Post
I mean you're comparing a 550 to an m car not really much of a comparison lol... the brakes are totally different in those cars compared to m cars

I never track my cars never have never will, I always rent something or go to events where they provide cars for the enormous entry fee.

Your right metallurgy has come a long way... but look at things my way... the 550s don't squeak right? So obviously bmw is capable of making a commuter sedan with non squeeky brakes, what makes you think they couldn't do the same for the m5? Unless that somehow detracted from the performance of said brakes which I can't prove but it's my theory. I mean you really only have front brakes on an m5 anyway, so they gotta make sure those front brakes work at 120%. (Rear brakes are single piston floating aka won't do shit to stop the car)
But.......................I wasn't comparing an M550 to an M5 (That's apparently blasphemy). What I meant was: the M550 and M5 are virtually the same length, same width, same height, same weight, same size V8. Forget about all the goodies an M car has that makes it an M car. It's the same physics when trying to stop from high speed. Both cars have no problem doing 130 mph, and both cars will take the same amount of brake friction to bring it to zero. Momentum is just mass x velocity. Not going to change because of badging. It would be interesting to know how far it takes for each, however. But, both will get stopped. If the M5 stops 10 feet sooner, does that mean the M550 brakes aren't safe? No. And, I agree, you can't prove your theory that BMW needs the squeaky compound so as not to deter from performance.

But..................maybe BMW should just have these noisy as fuck brakes as an option that you can check off when you are ordering that says, "Yeah, gimme these, cuz I'm gonna track this thing and I want all the performance I can get and CCBs are too damned expensive." Then find a compound, gee, I don't know, like the M550 brakes, and put them in the M5 for the masses. Maybe make them a tad bigger than the M550's if you have to. I'm not a brake engineer. That's what I pay BMW for.

Is it a Performance Luxury Sedan or a Luxury Performance Sedan. Don't know. Don't care. I just don't think it should sound like a school bus.

Still probly gonna get a 3rd one, tho.
Appreciate 1