No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2022 M5C

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowbimmer View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by jnotrom711 View Post
I'll add, yes it is a problem. One big enough to be a constant topic on this forum. The f10 forum and likely others. The only more common thread I see is "should i tune my f90 and will my tune void my warranty" LOL.

So, since you're apparently an M, or AMG engineer, and since the brake squeal was part of the design, as you say.

What's the purpose of the squeal? I mean a lot of cars still have tabs on the pads to let people know when the pads are almost up. That's a design, to let people know their brakes are near metal on metal. That squealing is actually by design. Lol.

Is it to let people know the brakes are not hot enough? Or their too hot? Or too cold? Is it just to let you know you still have plenty of brake life left? Kinda the opposite of the tabs that squeal when almost gone. So do they stop squealing when it's time to replace? Is that how we know we need brakes. Nevermind the brakelife sensors. Unless it's the sensors that alert us once it notices the brakes are no longer squealing?

Legitimately tell me since the brakes are designed to squeal, what is the performance metric or attribute that having the squeal affects? Is the squeal an ultra high vibration noise that fends off AMGs? Like a dog whistle ?

Lastly, you first said they squeal because not driving hard enough. Which you are, obviously!… but then later you say they're designed this way with the squeak. But , like I mentioned, you said yours don't squeal. (then you said they did), but the ones that don't squeal (since it's designed to do this) maybe there's actually something wrong with yours? Have you had yours checked out on your f9….Nevermind.

Just trying to keep up with you and get my information right.
This^^^^^^^^^

It's funny, but tragically so, how this topic gets done to death on these forums. I am firmly in the camp that says BS to the "this is how they're supposed to be, ya noob" crowd.

I had an F10 550 and a G30 M550. Both 4,000+ lb cars, both AWD, both with V-8s. Both went over 30,000 miles. Neither squealed - ever. I was shocked at how noisy my 2019 Base got when coming to a stop. What makes the physics of this car so different? A few times, just for fun, I did the "stop at the last second" way of driving, so each stop was a firm push on the brakes. People freak out when you approach a red light at 35 mph and then decide to stop - all in the last 8 feet. Pedestrians especially. My LCI Comp eventually got noisy, too. Just not as bad - but still equally irritating for a 130k car.

And tracking this car.....how many people actually do it? 1 in 100? If so, if the "one" runs 100 miles in a year on a track and everyone averages 12,000 miles a year, then total track time is 100/1,200,000 miles - or 8 thousandths of 1 per cent - 0.0083%. Hardly seems BMW would eff it up for the rest of the masses "because that's they way they're supposed to be driven." Pure and simple, they could have done this better.

That being said, its still a truly awesome car. Annoying, but awesome. I am still planning on trying to get a 3rd one before the F90 production run ends, or probably an M8, since it will most likely go a year beyond the F90. I don't like the noise, but I can live with it. I just try to look straight ahead as I slowly roll to a shrieking stop at an intersection in the summer, next to a Honda Accord with the windows down. But, man, I can sure kick his ass when we go green.
Thanks for being a civil human being. It's not that hard, right? Already got a lashing on another thread for posing the question. I am with you. No way a car this expensive should sound like this, and none of my comparable cars EVER did. Thanks for the valuable and constructive input!
zb26031055.50