View Single Post
      11-04-2015, 07:06 PM   #18
x233
Lieutenant
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: M2C, M235xi

I was considering Forgeline GX3 8x18 and 9x18 as an option but my dealer told me they 99% wouldn't fit on the M-brakes because of the wheel construction and rather limited offset range in the front. Didn't want to go wider because of increased weight so I didn't pursue the idea further (though, perhaps, should've talked with Forgeline directly).

Their GA3R and GA3 wheels are some of the toughest wheels around. Ultimate solution, extremely strong and stiff while reasonably lightweight. Rides and handles extremely well. I still have 2 sets of those on a different vehicle and I love them dearly. They've endured some of the most extreme use you could think of. It took a high speed curbing accident that ruined half the front of the car to bend an outer lip on one of those.

Forgeline is also very helpful in designing your wheel that's going to suit your specific vehicle, brakes, suspension, load, etc.

I also have a set of R40 HRE monoblocks that are all bent after similar use (sans a car crash). The HRE are all springy, more comfortable, classy looking and nice wheels overall but not nearly as sturdy as Forgelines in my limited experience.

I'd go for Forgeline if that's within the budget.

Or, alternatively, you could take a look at CCW that are rumored to be nearly as strong, monoblock construction available (Corsair series) that would make it easy to fit on our vehicle, tough old-school true forged wheels (unlike the flow formed, spun, rotary forged, etc. cast cr*p with rolled barrels they call forged these days) at a price significantly lower than the likes of HRE and Forgeline. They, too, will make a wheel to suit your exact specifications.

Nothing beats a true classic forged wheel in terms of strength and longevity. Too light a wheel, if cast or flow formed, means a marginally strong wheel, typically flowed barrel that is usually quite soft and prone to deform easily while the spokes can crack or completely disintegrate upon serious impact. Only reason to buy those is so it doesn't hurt you financially to change them every couple of weeks or so after serious use.

Not everyone is ready to cash out for a serious wheel but if you're looking for the ultimate, go forged, like true forged as opposed to flow formed.
Appreciate 0