05-20-2020, 12:44 PM   #8
xlover
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2023 X7 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by premier3is View Post
Has anyone successfully patched a Pirelli Pzero runflat? I know discount tires won't do it and I had to order a new tire, but someone did tell me some Indy shops may be able to do it?

Any feedback appreciated, never again will I be getting run flats. A total waste of money since patching isn't "recommended" on runflats.
Here is the deal with patching runflats as it has been explained to me: Liabilty is the key reason it is refused. A runflat can definitely be patched much like a regular tire, for the most part. With a slow leak and nothing damaging the tire there is no reason it cant be. However, as it was told to me, if a run flat goes to 0 pressure and you drive on it for a period of time especially at highway speeds it compromises the tire, with a go-flat in the same scenario and you keep driving the rim will shred the tire and you are stuck (hence the reason for runflats)

The issue lies with being able to prove it hasn't been driven on at 0 pressure. Most major repair shop chains just wont take that risk. There are a few here and there that will follow manufacturer recommendations, if the manu allows it they will do it, BMW does not so you would be SOL from that angle. Thats why most recommend finding a small indy shop that can apply common sense from a conversation vs blanket corporate restrictions.
Appreciate 4
premier3is1631.50
themur67.00
EXE462100.00