View Single Post
      06-24-2022, 01:10 AM   #8
micvite
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 mazda RX8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pimpsy View Post
Actually, I'm pretty sure it's fine. The rods and crank don't rest on the bearings, there is in fact a film of oil (just as you suspected) in between. Engine theory aside, there is a ridiculous amount of testing that goes into these systems. In practice, I think there is really no discernable difference in wear over the realistic life of the car. The additional wear from this feature across the entire starting system is definitely greater than zero but not enough to worry about...the car will die from something else long before this is a problem.

That said, I don't like the auto off feature and my 2019 M5C does not permanently remember if I turn it off and neither can it be coded to stay off. Sort of a pet peeve, really.
You should definitely be able to code it off, the f10 was possible and there is a function for start stop off in the coding software from what I've seen looking around.

And it's not that I'm suspecting, I'm well aware how engines work, and from what it seems like you do too, so you know that it's the oil pressure that really maintains that clearance at which point you achieve hydrodynamic lubrication instead of boundary lubrication during startup and shutdown. And you are correct it doesn't add significant wear to someone that doesn't plan to keep the car which is why I'm not really getting into it lol, the cars are designed to last say 60k miles for the average user and that's about it, around 100k you start getting your major failures (seals, hoses, pumps) and I'd say around 150k it's time for bearings and such assuming proper maintenance was done. (Significantly less if you're using the start stop imo)
Appreciate 0