03-25-2019, 08:56 AM   #118
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Quote:
Originally Posted by ynguldyn View Post
I agree. It shouldn't take a graduate degree to explain and understand a basic product metric like range. Especially if you want to sell this product in millions.
The "tablet" itself is just a Linux box running on an Atom CPU. It's some real basic stuff, probably a couple hundred bucks worth of hardware if it was just off the shelf stuff, double it for the custom design. What we don't know about is the exact specs of their HW2.5 board that sits separate under the rear seats (and we know even less about the brand new HW3 version). But then I've pulled the pricing for G05 with option 6U3: the instrument cluster is listed at $1500, the head unit is $2260, and the display is $4060. Let's say the cost is 1/4 of the part's list price (a generous assumption, right?), and Tesla still has $1500 left over for their autopilot computer hardware before it would hit parity.
Switch design and gauge design, along with instrument panel design and manufacture, are the second-most expensive element of automotive production costs to the base floorpan/suspension components, which are 1st; it's why the Model S uses mostly switch hardware from Mercedes. My friend has a 2018 S4. The gauge cluster in current Audis are state of the art. The gauges are integrated into an attractive instrument panel design and the HMI is intuiative. Tesla could formulate a similar design as Audi and have a just as effective interface for the driver as it does with the tablet. Whether people like the Tesla design is a personal choice. Whether it is seen as cost compromise and if it matters to the buyer is also subjective to personal taste.

Last edited by Efthreeoh; 03-25-2019 at 09:16 AM..
Appreciate 0