10-04-2019, 07:59 PM   #18
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewicky View Post
yup yup yup. I find traditional expansion tanks to be inferior to the self-bleed reservoir design.yup, literally how the system self bleeds. A two hose reservoir system, with the smaller top one acting as an air-bubble-return-line until the system has fully bled itself. And the bottom, larger hose fills up the engine from the bottom. I'm glad we are in agreement, not sure how that means I'm "completely wrong".I encourage you to lookup the scientific functional definition of "displacement" because that's not how physics works. Also, the bleed screw isn't on the block nor head, so it has no control over air being trapped in those locations. That is why I mentioned previously the silly location for our "bleed screw". Which, by the way, BMW newtis refers to as a vent screw not a bleed screw. I can only speculate why.Pump can spin in a vacuum no problem, so I'm not sure what you mean by this. Obviously when I mentioned vacuuming the system, I mean temporary as a superior alternative to attempting to "bleed" it. You wouldn't want to seal the system up vacuumed (somehow) when the car/pump was running anyways because the coolant would boil too easily, but I don't think that's what you really meant because that would be ridiculous.yup yup yup.

Look, I'm not trying to be a donkey's rear end here. And I recognize several members' names as being terribly helpful all over these forums. Respect is due for that. But to answer this thread's particular question: our cars don't have a traditional cooling system design that would need bleeding. And I feel like people who understand gravity and displacement can see how, because of the way BMW designed it, there's no way the system could possibility be bled out of the bleed screw.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewicky View Post
If following BMW procedures is a must, independent thought is forbidden, and anything else is "risky," then I hope everyone here is using runflat tires and changes all four with brand new ones every time they have a puncture. I also hope nobody has ever tuned their car with anything other than Dinan.

I joke. On a more serious note, you have voiced your opinion and so have I. Anyone reading is hopefully capable of critically thinking and can make their own decision, and not just blindly follow procedures that weren't meant for them, just for the heck of it.
I'll not argue who has more college credits in Physics....

But I will argue the bleed screw doesn't need to be on the engine cylinderhead; it needs to be at the highest point in the cooling system, which is where the air will collect when pushed from the block as the liquid coolant displaces the air within the block. So the bleed screw is on the cooling system reservoir, which is higher than the top of the cylinderhead and a few inches above any water jacket inside the head.

Not sure you understand what vacuum means in terms of physics.

You are completely wrong because you state and argue that the bleed screw is useless and advise not to follow BMW's bleeding procedure. In fact when one reviews BMW's literature regarding the design of the N52 engine and its use of an electric cooling pump, it states BECAUSE the system uses an electric cooling pump "a special filling and bleeding procedure must be implemented for servicing." Pg. 58 of the New Generation 6 Cylinder N52.
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."

Last edited by Efthreeoh; 10-05-2019 at 05:41 AM..
Appreciate 1