View Single Post
      03-17-2020, 04:57 PM   #3
Quickburn7
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2018 Bmw M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by mm5300 View Post
This isn't a knock on the F90 per se, but I'm pretty frustrated at BMW right now. I was wondering if anyone has had a similar problem with the oil cooler. I searched this forum, but didn't come across anything. I did see some mentions with an internet search of this issue with this motor and the preceding version.

I was driving down the highway last week and a normal size piece of truck retread tire ended up going under my car. Shortly after that, I got a engine oil pressure light and pulled over to the shoulder. Apparently, that piece of debris jumped up and knocked the oil cooler up and caused a large leak. Nothing else under the car (or bumper) was damaged. How can a car that costs over $110K have such a vulnerable spot that could cause major damage. I found Turner Motorsports sells a shield specifically to "Protect your vulnerable oil cooler from catastrophic engine failure!". How can BMW ignore this and not add a shield that would probably cost $100 or less to make?

Now they want me pay $3200 to replace the oil cooler and we'll have to wait and see if there's any engine damage (see 5 & 6 below). On top of that, BMW Roadside Assistance was a complete catastrophe. Here's some of the highlights:

1. Took almost 4 hours for someone to arrive.
2. The provider company changed 4 times.
3. The first text message said "approx 60 mins" and one later said approx 2 hrs, but we are still looking for a provider.
4. The guy who showed up was driving a 2000 Ram truck with no bumper and a pull trailer. His whole setup probably cost what BMW would charge for a replacement set of tires.
5. Guy didn't know how to manually put the car in neutral because we couldn't start it (I've only had the car 4 weeks, so I didn't know and ti wasn't in the owner's manual).
6. Eventually had to start the car, quickly put it in neutral, and turn it off (had to do loading and unloading).
7. Told BMW Roadside that it was me and a passenger. The guy said BMW told him it was just me and he only had a single cab truck. My buddy sat on my lap on the ride to the dealership.
7. Guy scraped underneath the bumper both loading and unloading. I have included a photo of how the guy was trying to angle the trailer to not have it scrape.

I can't believe this is what I'm getting from a high performance luxury brand. I've had other people have nothing but rave reviews about owner's about roadside from other manufacturers like Porsche. Not real happy about how this is going to this point. Very frustrated overall.
Very similar thing happened to me. How long were you driving from moment of impact to moment you turned off the engine?

Oil cooler and labor should not be more than $1600. Find the oil cooler online and then negotiate with your bmw dealer to match the price of cooler and be reasonable with labor

You cannot put the car in neutral with the car off. There is no over ride

IND sells an oil cooler guard for this reason which I highly recommend to everyone to never have to deal with this.

Engine costs about 55k installed but your auto insurance should cover it.
Appreciate 0