08-26-2020, 09:18 AM   #6
stein_325i
Ring Leader of G8X Haters
No_Country
Rep
Drives: A Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by secretariat View Post
Thanks for the responses, I actually like the way the facelift looks on the E63s especially in grey. I know that Mercedes doesn't give a service warranty and I am wondering if I should purchase the service option for 4 years. That's basically an oil change every 10,000 miles or once a year?? I am not looking to blow the doors off an E63 with the M5CS, if it actually does that. Both are very similar, I guess I'm just really wondering which one of the two has more driver involvement. Which one gives you more steering feel, which one will I feel like I'm driving the car and not the other way around. If blowing the doors off other vehicles was my goal I would get a an electric vehicle (noooooo)
So far my MB experience has been very good. I've had BMW's for over two decades and have recently just gone to the dark side (although I still do have two Bimmers and am a passionate of both manufacturers, so no bias one way or the other). I got a CLS at the end of 2018 after being disappointed with my 540i, and was shocked that MB can actually make fun to drive cars while BMW was sleeping at the wheel, and the wife just got a GLC as a daily for her and the dog. I am looking at getting into an AMG C63 or E63 after my CLS next year and have driven some of the competition. I also loved the S-Coupe, but I do want something smaller, louder (V8) and more fun while still being daily-able, not quite old enough for an S-Class just yet Currently leaning towards E, but the C-Coupe is just so pretty.

As for discounts, I can't speak for AMG's just know that they will likely be lower as they sell less and supply less AMG's than M's and are less incentivized too (especially for leasing). If you get a wagon only discounts would be for leftover models as new wagons are order-only and they are rare so dealers don't haggle on them, although the wagon benefits from higher resale value (and depending on the future of the E-Wagon, could further improve). For service, you would have to get a service bundle, if you want it "packaged with the car." Depending on the deal I would recommend it as MB dealer service is costly (as most luxury dealers are). As for AMG reliability, I can't speak for that, the only known issue I know of was early 2018 models had misfire issues and were bought back by MB, but my wife's GLC has been great, and other than a faulty window switch and a damaged parking sensor my CLS has had no issues in 20k+ miles. As always, YMMV.

I have driven an M5 (non-comp) on the road and track, and a Comp model (not on track though) and will agree with you that the car is lacking in feedback and engagement in certain areas. The car is incredibly capable though, and can achieve some great times on and off track, just lacks a bit of passion/soul of past Bimmers. The biggest advantage the M5 has over the E63S other than speed/0-60 times (which is a very minuscule difference anyways) is ride comfort, and supposedly the new 2021 E refresh will ride much better after owner complaints, so that should level the playing field. Apparently for 2021 M5 will be receiving M8's brakes which are by wire, I haven't tested this, but do wonder if this removes more feel from the car?

I have yet to drive an E63S on track, but I have driven a friends E63 Wagon extensively and find the steering and handling to be much sharper. While the steering isn't brimming with feel, it is more natural and progressive (though lighter) than most of BMW's modern racks which associate sportiness with heavy steering. The E is heavier (mostly due to pano roof, which I think is worth it) but doesn't feel it, and still is pretty agile for its size. I also liked that the E has an MCT over a traditional auto which feels crisp and the paddles are nice tactile aluminum. While MB doesn't classify it as a "Dual Clutch" it is a multi-clutch system, so in and around town at low speed it won't be as smooth as the ZF. While the E is slower (by a small amount, 3-seconds to 60 is still plenty fast) it feels more aggressive due to the engine + trans setup while the M5 is smoother and more composed (less dramatic). The engine and exhaust are the E's biggest advantage over the M5, they just nail the exhaust on their V8's, even stock it sounds awesome, especially on cold starts.

Interior wise, design will be subjective, but build quality is better on the 5er. After having both the 540 and the CLS (which shares the E's interior) I prefer the look of the CLS, especially at night, just feels really special especially the lighting, but interior is all personal taste so YMMV. As for tech, MBUX is fairly simple if you are use to iDrive, not too hard, you get use to it, and most of the time wife and I use Apple Carplay anyways. iDrive is better, but MBUX is still plenty fine, not enough to sway a purchase, in my opinion. Also the gauges in the MB are much more customizable and do have a proper tach. Hopefully BMW will give us more options eventually after all these complaints!

I highly recommend you take a good test drive of both and push them hard and rev them out to truly experience both cars and be able to compre them (may require test driving a used car). Also check out the W213 AMG forums on MBWorld to get some opinions and help from owners over there.

Whatever you end up with, they are both excellent vehicles. Good luck
spuntyb4062.00