Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawnhayes View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by iranjha View Post
I wouldn't call track performance brakes a compromise, but to each their own.

But considering this is a full family sedan, it should be acknowledged that majority of owners won't solely use this as a track car. It's the iconic balance between luxury and performance that BMW achieved with things like configuring X Drive, but in my opinion, not with the brakes system.

Speaking as a consumer, not a brakes engineer.
You are certainly correct. I expect track level brakes to come on a Porsche 911 or a GT-R. I don't expect them on an M3 or M5.

I DO, however, expect that the right track compounds BE AVAILABLE from the dealer when I want to take it to the track.

This USED to be true for M cars and other BMW's as well. As it is now, BMW Europe has a better track performance pad for the M5 that BMW USA won't sell in the U.S. Bastards.

Shawn
Quote:
Originally Posted by shawnhayes View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by iranjha View Post
My F90 brakes squeal like crazy. I understand that they're high performance brakes and some squeal is normal, but this is insane and nothing like any of the other M cars I've driven. We have an M760i which is silent and an M3 which is also silent

I took it to the dealer and they just cleaned them off and said it was brake dust causing the problem. It was fixed for about 12 hours and then came back worse than ever. I did some poking around online and saw that a few people attribute the solution to getting the rotors replaced. Does anyone have any experience with this?

Again, I get that the noise can not be irradiated but I know for a fact they should not be this noisy.
The problem is that these pads are suitable for track use. Not great but suitable. It's a function of the pad compound.

The only solution is to take it to the track and lay down a super transfer layer with some 150mph-60mph slowdowns.

I'm sorry. They compromised the car for me, and not you.

Shawn
Can I smuggle it in?
Appreciate 0