View Single Post
      06-01-2020, 11:17 PM   #65
Phatcat
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW M5, X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by therealm3 View Post
Because market cap is what makes a company great? Or what determines how good their products are? Stock market valuation is a terrible metric to use, especially in this case.

Talk to some Tesla owners. Yes the cars are fast and Tesla is pushing the industry in to much needed change. But, their cars are not built well and the after purchase experience is abysmal. Tesla makes rockets and flame throwers and really good batteries. But a car company they are not. And I just don't see them changing because of Elon's ego. And that will be their demise. By them VW, BMW and others will have great electric cars and will be able to support them after the fact. Parts will be available and there will be shops to fix them.
Market cap is what makes shareholders happy and unfortunately BMW is also a public company so their shareholders can't be happy Tesla is worth multiple times they are.

I also have a Tesla and I think they are good cars. If they are not why would the company worth $166B? For years many people (including this forum) predicted the demise of Tesla, yet it just goes higher and higher, to the point one has to wonder if it will ever come down.

Anyways I'm not here to defend Tesla or promote Tesla, at heart I'm a ICE guy. I was just saying BMW and other brands are forced to accelerate their development of electric cars because Tesla's presence and sky high valuation.
Appreciate 1