View Single Post
      06-01-2020, 05:19 PM   #45
therealm3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F30 340 MSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phatcat View Post
I know what your saying but you are making it more complicated with EV's weight, performance, and etc.

I was more referring to just the stock market, Tesla is worth more than Daimler, BMW, and VW group combined, and all Tesla does is electric cars and barely scraping by. And yet the stock went up another 63 dollar today to almost $900 with a market cap of $166B (BMW is about $38B).

So the current perception is making electric cars is more valuable. Whether or not this should the case is up for another debate. To me it still baffles my mind that Tesla is worth more than German big 3 combined but for now that is the case.

Hence I said I'm not surprised German automakers have to announce or plan more and more electric cars just to show investors and shareholders that they are keeping up with the times.
Because market cap is what makes a company great? Or what determines how good their products are? Stock market valuation is a terrible metric to use, especially in this case.

Talk to some Tesla owners. Yes the cars are fast and Tesla is pushing the industry in to much needed change. But, their cars are not built well and the after purchase experience is abysmal. Tesla makes rockets and flame throwers and really good batteries. But a car company they are not. And I just don't see them changing because of Elon's ego. And that will be their demise. By them VW, BMW and others will have great electric cars and will be able to support them after the fact. Parts will be available and there will be shops to fix them.
Appreciate 0