View Single Post
      02-02-2021, 06:52 PM   #34
BlueString
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 550i, 2021 F90 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stan550 View Post
I’m thinking about moving on from my M6 GC, and I’m trying to decide which way to go. I want the better performing car, and based on the lower weight and shorter wheelbase it looks like that might be the M5? I had three M5’s before my M6, and I feel like the M6GC CP felt sportier than my F10 M5. But, I’m not sure that will be the case with the current comparison.

I’ve driven the M5 CP and the M850i, and I’m looking to find an M8 GC to test. But, in the meantime, has anyone already gone through this process?

Thank you
I wasn't looking at the M8 GC as it was a bit more than what I wanted to spend. However I did cross shop the M5 with the M850i GC. It might not be the best comparison as it's an M vs a non M car in terms of performance but here were the other features I took note of to make my decision.

I will say that the M850i GC is nice looking car and definitely a head turner. I do like how the infotainment screen is embedded on the dash and looks much more flowing with the overall dash design. The fact that Laser Light was available on the 8 series was another plus. Another feature was the small storage compartment in the rear center armrest, not sure why the G30 5 series no longer has that as my F10 had that compartment (My 5 year old likes to bring a small toy with him and it offered a place for him to put that in there, probably not much use for most people). The power rear side sunshades were definitely a nice gimmick as well as the pano moonroof.

In comparison, I loved the 20 way multi-contour seats in the M5 which isn't offered in the M850 GC or M8 GC for that matter. The M8 CG seems to use the same seats found on the X3 M. The digital AC controls on the M5 was more visually appealing compared with the 8 GC's AC controls, which now seems to be a design language that spans across the other series. The 4 zone climate control on the M5 includes the B pillar vents which allows for more air flow for rear passengers which the 8 GC doesn't offer in their version of 4 zone. I also prefer the framed doors on the M5 as it seems to insulate better but I have nothing to back that up; just my observation when driving both cars. I find the overall driving visibility better with the M5 compared with the 8 GC's sloping design and the former seems more agile as you can feel the latter's width when maneuvering around city streets here in LA.

In the end, I chose the M5 since for a similar price, depending on how you configure each vehicle, I got a true M car. Again, this was in comparison with the M850 GC. The M8 as I said was a bit too much for me to justify that jump. The M5's overall design seems more coherent and I prefer the subtle look of it. While the 8 GC is a head turner, I find it looks a bit odd in certain angles but my opinion extends to all 4 door coupes for this matter. I actually test drove the M5 and the M850 GC on 3 separate occasions across 3 different dealerships. Each time, I find the M5 calling my name and that sealed the deal for me.
Appreciate 0