05-19-2022, 04:25 PM   #59
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 Z4 sDrive 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by wtwo3 View Post
I don't agree with the financially astute comments. There's a spectrum. You can be financially astute but have a passion for cars. Those who say a car is a bad investment clearly don't have passion for cars. Using that logic, any luxury purchase (vacations, nice clothes, fine dining) is a no-no because they're not purchases a "financially astute" individual would make.

Why are banks lending $ when they could make more in the stock market? If you have to ask that question then you truly don't understand how financial systems work. Lending money out to credit-worthy lendees is a low risk money generator, and allows the banks to hedge against market volatility. That doesn't mean they DON'T invest in the market as well.. they absolutely do. But diversification is the name of the game.

Leasing doesn't automatically mean the individual doesn't have the cash up front. In some cases, sure that's the case. But if you are actually financially astute, you know when to purchase something using which method depending on the situation. Truly financially astute individuals understand that finances don't adhere to rules set in stone, and are instead fluid based on market conditions.
Well, we'll have to agree to disagree w your definition of 'financially astute'. For the most part, ppl leasing/financing don't have the cash upfront, that's the reality.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfisti View Post
You're just not listening at all. You have an option to buy the car out, if I buy this car at the end of the 4 year lease period i'd have paid no more than buying it outright except I put the best part of $40K to work for me elsewhere rather than dump it on a car.

The thread is busy because a) it's been hijacked and b) i am tossing up options, but the option to buy it remains and again, at no higher cost than it would have been to purchase it outright 2.5 yrs ago.
How can leasing 4 years=the same as buying outright unless they not charging interest? Now don't tell me about variables like you going out and making some killer profit w your freed up $40K as that's not the pt and it's not a given. Ofc being a borrower is more costly than not being in debt, that's the whole pt, businesses don't lend out money for free.

Anyway, that's enough talk about leasing for me, not interested in that at all but GL w your decision.
The richest one percent of this country owns half our country's wealth, five trillion dollars. One third of that comes from hard work, two thirds comes from inheritance, interest on interest accumulating to widows and idiot sons and what I do, stock and real estate speculation...It's bullsh*t. I create nothing. I own. We make the rules, pal...Now you're not naive enough to think we're living in a democracy, are you buddy?
Appreciate 0