View Single Post
      12-03-2020, 08:27 AM   #15
spazzyfry123
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Here and There

Garage List
Once upon a time I had a contractor do a complete remodel on a house I had to flip, and boy it was a nightmare. Fly by night deal that always seemed cracked out or drunk. Left a check with a relative to pay the guy for that week's work after completion while I was out of town, but of course she gave the check early in the week. Guy jumped town with a pocket full of cash for work he didn't complete. Half built deck with the rear French doors missing a threshold and a time schedule to list the house in a week. Check was cashed before I knew it and POOF...dude was gone to never be heard from again.

While I can't be of any assistance to OP, I'd be interested to see what not to do in these situations. I am always ultra DIY (I enjoy it, and, well, I don't trust folks as can be seen here and above), but I just don't see building a privacy fence in the cards as a solo project. zx10guy mentions ensuring the contractor is licensed and bonded which is great advice. My only experience is Mr. Workforarock, and I just cannot go through that crap again. What other advice do the people have in selecting the right team? Google reviews? Bring your top three out to bid? What else?
Appreciate 0