View Single Post
      12-02-2020, 04:13 PM   #3
Joekerr
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2017 Audi S6

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamingat30fps View Post
So I hired this "company" to come out and replace my old wood fence with a new PVC fence. Signed proposal back in the end of July and gave a deposit... yeah you see where this is going.

Anyways still no fence. Guy always had some excuse. At this point I'm pretty sure it's just a scam. Permit still hasn't been issued, he tries blaming covid, but I have been in contact with the permit office and basically the guy just keeps failing to provide the required info. He didn't file it for a month, then took another month to submit payment, then didn't provide survey and now wont provide insurance info. Obviously refuses to refund anything and at this point has stopped responding.

Now when you Google the company you see reviews starting to popup around the same time basically claiming exact same thing that's going on with me. When I started looking into the guy he is shady as fuck! First thing that popsup is his mug shot from when he was in prison. Even his kid has a mug shot up on Google and so does his supposed business partner. Apparently just started the company like Dec of 2019 and is pulling the same scam on a bunch of people.

And yeah I know it's my fault for not looking into the guy in more detail before, but honestly in the 10 years I've been in this house I have never had an issue with a single contractor. Sure some are better than others, but never had one be an outright crook so I guess I had my guard down.

Anyways what would you guys do? Couple lawyers I talked to said it's not worth it just go to small claim court. However is there any point in even doing that? I mean it seems pretty complicated to file the case in small claims court, you have to pay a bunch of fees and really what guarantee is there I will get any $$ back? I can get a judgement but what good is that when the scumbag just shuts down the company?

At this point I don't even care about my deposit. I would happily forfeit it if I knew the pos was getting locked up. I hate crooks.
Is he a corporation or an individual doing the company though?

If individual, you can get a lien on his house through court and then when he goes to sell, you get paid. My parents had to do that for a roofer who pulled the same stunt. Of course, different country, so results may vary...
Appreciate 0