09-11-2022, 09:19 AM   #4
Used2be
Perennial PFC
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 M5 DG/Aragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbonsalb View Post
I used 10L last change. The upside down filter housing on 18-20 and maybe 21 models is messy. Look into changing to the new cap that has a drain plug and swap it when you do the oil change
I bought the Weistec oil filter housing with the drain plug. Makes the change less messy, but I’m sure the new housing from BMW is less expensive (never thought I say it’s less $$ from BMW!) and just as functional. I was surprised with one aspect of the drain plug though. I’d thought once I’d let the oil stop flowing from the opened plug all the oil would be drained from the housing….wrong! When I began unscrewing the filter housing more oil was released from the drain plug hole. Luckily I’d left the drain pan underneath, but after letting the extra oil drain, each turn of the housing released more oil. I’ll guess it’s the way BMW has configured the pressure relief spring which allows the oil to drain as the housing is unscrewed.

So, while the drain plug does help a lot with reducing the mess, be careful even with the improved housing.
Appreciate 1
Maverik2594140.00