View Single Post
      12-14-2013, 04:15 PM   #9
exon
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2014 X3 35i Jet Black!

X5 doesn't seem to have that flap. It has dual exhaust so probably don't need the flap to provide enough air flow.... That's my guess.

I will probably looking into putting some sound proofing in the trunk area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by n55x3 View Post
When there is load on the engine it will drone a bit, not much you can do about that. Maybe shift back into 7th (increase RPMs slightly) and the drone will turn into more of a wail which might be less annoying. Stepping up to a larger model like X5 would probably eliminate much of that drone due to increased sound deadening materials used in the more upscale vehicle. You won't find any after market exhausts that are quiter, typically the after market exhaust goes the other way in that it will be louder.

My wife drives our 35i X3 daily and for the first 3 years of ownership I had unplugged the exhaust flap which created even more drone but I liked it as I liked hearing the N55 do it's thing (typically the flap only opens under cold starts and hard acceleration). Just last weekend I plugged it back in (now flap works as intended) and I was shocked by how quiet the X3 rides now.
Appreciate 0