View Single Post
      12-06-2014, 09:23 AM   #22
Dionysus
Captain
Rep
Drives: TBC

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWSKI View Post
It's interesting hearing your thoughts on refinement. I think for me it's the overall build quality along with the road, tyre and wind noise that bug me.
I hope a 5 series would sort this out to a degree.
Some further thoughts (may also help others considering M5): -

F10 interior material quality much better than F30. F10 is close to 7-series, whereas F30 close to 1-series look & feel. It's a change in strategy compared with the previous generation cars. I can only imagine that BMW didn't want F30 stealing sales from the F10 as it's now quite a comfortable car compared to the E90.

Wind noise not really an issue in any F10.

The secondary ride in a CP equipped M5 is slightly worse that a passive M Sport F10, but much firmer than an adaptive drive F10. Obviously the M5 CP does, in turn, have much better body control than any non-M F10; the car feels smaller when driving, even if physically it's the same as a non-M F10. It's much easier to position the M5 CP for tight gaps, etc. The pre-LCI non-M adaptive drive F10 was a bit of a boat at times.

W.r.t. rolling refinement & in terms of driving feel, the real advantage of going for any M car, IMO, is that BMW tune out any negative handling traits that tend to effect M Sports, for example, occasional tramlining, etc. Adaptive drive can also provide this, albeit with some suspension float in the comfort settings. If you like cars with consistent firm damping & tight body control, but reasonably comfortable ride, something like the M5 is worth a look over adaptive drive F10, etc. I would also test drive the E63; better steering feel, better noise from stock exhaust, worse tech (no HUD, media screen, etc.).

These are all nuances and clearly reflect what I look for in terms of handling/ride compromise. Try and press your dealer into borrowing a car from BMW for at least a 24hr test drive - I declined with the adaptive drive 535d, only to regret it later.

Also worth considering that due to all the campaigns BMW run on the M5/M6s, depreciation is rising on F10 M5s (it's much worse than it was on previous generation M5s).

To expand on M5essex's comments regarding the M5 above, for the majority of drivers, 90% of the time you may as well be driving a non-M F10 and gain the increased refinement (lower dBs at UK cruising speeds, improved ride, etc.). 10% of the time you'll open up the exhaust and remind yourself why you did choose an M5.
Appreciate 1