03-27-2007, 06:25 PM   #12
NickG
Private First Class
Australia
Rep
Drives: E92 335i 6MT M/Blue, Jade Grey

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1q2w3e4r View Post
You don't need to run 98 RON in yours at all as the engine is designed to run on 95 although it can't hurt, but it's not essential.

You don't really need it in anything that isn't a really highly tuned engine or a car with FI. It won't make any real noticable difference on most cars barring high end performance cars, even turbo cars need a retune for 100 RON to make the most out of the higher octane.
Isn't it the case that most modern cars have electronic knock sensors that will self adjust to any octane above the rated minimum for the vehicle? And surely FI cars like 335i that are these days running 10.7:1 compression ratios - despite the turbochargers- can take advantage of these high grade fuels?

Having said this, my right foot sure hasn't been able to tell the difference between 95 and 98 octane. On each of my last my last three cars 325i, RX8 and 335i I trialled Shell, BP and Mobil 98 quite extensively before reverting to 95, and found no discernable difference either in consumption or performance.

My guess is the cars do benefit from the better fuel, but you'll need a stopwatch to detect the performance difference, and something a lot more accurate and controlled than comparing trip computer readouts to discern the economy difference....
Appreciate 0