06-18-2022, 12:41 PM   #20
DavidXJ
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F90 M5 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbonsalb View Post
It is good practice to be thinking about what you say and how you say it in any public environment. I don't see any problem discussing issues in choosing which expensive car to buy while observing that good practice.
Good practices indeed. But I have to counter the implied critique here by saying that I certainly do think carefully about what I write, and I believe the OP has already appreciated how I thought through the questions he was asking in opening this thread in the first place. Cavilling at other members' choice of phrasing, on the other hand, or being censorious for its own sake, is something one ought to avoid, so as to avoid in turn the tendency to make a moral mountain out of a rhetorical mole hill. I typically think of a luxury car forum as probably not the most effective place to thrash out in public the principles of socioeconomic (in)equity that are symptomatically revealed by ownership choices or dilemmas, and I'm acutely mindful of the condescension that can accompany the calling out of unacknowledged privilege. At the very least, there's always the risk of detracting from the original premise of a given thread..!

Indeed, sorry, OP: your discussion had been evolving well, and it's unfortunate that it had to be diverted down this siding.

Previous:
G20 M340i
G20 330i M Sport
Appreciate 0