03-24-2024, 06:14 AM   #16
gioM5-Comp
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M5 Competition

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmsteinm View Post
Mine was exactly like that. You are correct that the dealer should fix this, but you have to decide if it is worth the hassle of going there, waiting, hoping they do it right, etc.

I see why they run into trouble because of this (straight out of ISTA):
Attachment 3413206

I don't know if is the same in the UK, but in the US there is no requirement for a dealer "tech" to have any training or experience. So sometimes you get a person who knows what they are doing (and maybe respects and appreciates cars), other times you get the new guy, or an experience doofus or wanker, who either doesn't follow directions or does even when they are incorrect or not applicable. The directions above are for when you completely drain the coolant. In our cases for a tank replacement that is not the case so the above probably should not apply.

I miss the days with my CTS-V when I was under warranty and I only had 1 tech work on my car, and he always did a great job. The one time he was unavailable for an alignment I had to take the car back to get it fixed because the other guy messed it up. Then like all top people in a given field he moved on to other things. But by then I was out of warranty and would do everything myself.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbonsalb View Post
Overfill it and there isn’t enough room for the coolant to expand when hot so the pressure builds up and the cap vents. I would assume it was overfilled. Even though dealers charge the highest rates that does not necessarily mean their work is the highest quality. Unfortunate. This is one reason I DIY.
Hiya..

So, my car went back to the dealership on Friday 22nd of March to investigate the coolant tank again. As you guys already suspected, the tank had indeed just vented some excess coolant because it had been slightly overfilled and the residue I could see was that. They pressure tested it just to be safe and confirmed the tank is ok.
Thankfully this time, I managed to speak to a technician who seemed pretty clued up about it and came out personally to see me to explain it all. He admitted that someone had overfilled it slightly but there was still no excuse for it and was very apologetic. He managed to strip it down some and clean up all around it too.
He also seemed to agree about the tanks poor design and inevitable positioning.

I tend to go with my gut instincts when it comes to people and to honest, this particular technician seemed very genuine to me. I asked him for his name for future reference. Always good to have a point of contact I felt.
Hopefully this puts this issue to bed but I still keep checking it just in case.
Thanks everyone for all your input with this. Every day’s a school day hey…

Cheers Gio
Appreciate 0