View Single Post
      08-19-2007, 10:53 AM   #7
kevbh
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 320i, E46 M3 track car

Quote:
Originally Posted by panzer948 View Post
Hi, have my first track event in Mid-Sept at VIR with BMWCCA - with my first BMW. After reviewing the posts here, I think I have some ideas on where to look for a helmet and what type. I don't want to spend an arm and a leg for my first event. Will buy a better model after I see how much of this I may start to do per year.

Just a couple of questions about what people wear at these events:
Recommends Nomex driving shoes, but that non-skid soled shoes are okay - are these like your typical tennis shoes (sneakers)? I'm not much into shoes so forgive me if this is a dumb question.

Also, they say to wear long sleeved shirts and pants (natural, not synthetic fibers). Are jeans with maybe a long sleeved t-shirt material the typical attire worn by the drivers?

Thanks,
I've did a couple of HPDEs this year at Road Atlanta with the BMWCCA. Most people wore jeans, tennis shoes (generic term), and short sleeve shirts. The club recommends long sleeves, but doesn't completely require them, and given the heat, most opted out. I just threw a long sleeve shirt in the car just in case they insisted. One thing I thought was kind of odd is that quite a few drivers wore shorts, then put pajama bottoms on over them when it came time to drive. I guess they were in technical compliance with the rules...

I'm not recommending any of the above, just wanted to lend my observations so you might know what to expect. Good luck! It's awesome.