04-28-2019, 06:36 AM   #5
Carjack
Stormtrooper
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 330i G20 M-Sport Portimao Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by GEP77 View Post
The package selection is largely down to the new WLTP emissions rules. Under the old rules NEDC rules there was little requirement to test the effects of additional equipment either for weight or electrical demand (and thus load on the alternator). The new rules are quite different and require some level of testing for all options. This is a real pain for manufacturers that have traditionally had long options lists. To simplify things they group options together.

While this might be irritating to some it should be quite good for the second hand market as it should mean you are less likely to find really weirdly specced cars. A classic one I saw a while back was full individual paint and interior but with base stereo and halogen lights.

Anyway congrats on the order, that should be a pretty nice car when it arrives.
Thanks for your explanatory post!
I quite agree that on the secondhand market you do get some very strangely specced cars.
At least with the BMW arrangement of extras I was able to spec out the sliding glass roof but not so with the MB arrangement of packaged extras where I was unable to spec out, at least not on the C class.
I was going to have to pay serious money for something I had no use for! Another thumbs down for MB!
NB At least I hope I have specced it out as you never know what’s going to turn up!

Which leads me on to the axe to grind which I have about the lack of knowledge Main Dealer Salesman seem to have of detailed knowledge of the extras available or even the inclination to discuss one by one. I always seem to know more than they do!

Lots of rhubarb about the actual car but they very little about the extras which have always lead me to believe they get commission on the car not the extras.
This is my opinion after having bought four new BMW’s.
Yet these Salesman profess to be professionals, they don’t know the meaning of the word!
But a car salesman is a car salesman whatever!
Appreciate 0