View Single Post
      07-17-2020, 11:56 AM   #1
F90Joe
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 M5c

Exclamation Denied warranty because 1000 miles over "break-in service"

So where do I even start.... Previous M4 owner, moved over to an M5 competition in January - the car was purchased new, 169 miles on the odometer.

Day the car was delivered (purchased out of state), it had an SOS error so I had to bring it to the dealer to fix it. Drove the car fine and brought it in for break-in service around 2200 miles. Did the service no problem..

Car was due for it's first oil change - brought it into the dealer. When they brought the car out to me I noticed it was louder than normal but thought maybe the guy had it in s3 mode. I drove it about 100 feet to the stop sign and got a "mechanical failure" error message. Turned the car around and it sounded like when you get a utensil stuck inside of a garbage disposal. Car was at the dealer for over a week and I was told "the vehicle stopped making the noises and cannot find any fault codes/error" - They found some metal shavings in the oil filter but BMW NA said that was normal during the break in period.

Shortly after, I started having a problem where you turn the car on and it stumbles, then turns off. Problem became more frequent so I contacted the dealer. They had the car for a week and stated that BMW NA said the vehicle had to be reprogrammed. Gave me the vehicle back, worked fine for a couple of days and started stumbling again.

Yesterday, started the car and got a check engine light. Dropped the car off immediately at the dealer. From reading online, I was sure it was fuel pump since other members had the stumbling issue. Received a call today from the dealer stating that there was a "hard spot" found and BMW NA is denying warranty because the vehicle was brought in 1,000 miles past the "break in miles".

No software on the car, has been serviced at the same dealer since I purchased it and the vehicle only has 5,700 miles on it. I've owned every car brand under the sun and have never heard this non-sense. Car has been back 3x since the break-in service and has been "warrantied". Any BMW NA guys on here that can help out?

Appreciate any help / advice!

Last edited by F90Joe; 07-17-2020 at 12:08 PM..
Appreciate 1