12-14-2020, 06:11 PM   #18
crypto
Rep
Drives: 2022 M5 CS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fullthrottlebg View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueString View Post
Exactly! I'm not a big fan of how BMW's marketing department is slapping the "M" badge all over the place. Mercedes is doing this as well with their "AMG" badging. Both the M550 and E53 AMG are really just a 550i M Sport and E550 w/ AMG Package respectively. By putting an "M" in front and with the "E53" moniker, BMW and Mercedes are charging a higher premium for these vehicles.

The issue is that by naming it an "M550i, M850i etc" it creates an expectation the vehicle doesn't live up to. I test drove both the M550 and M850 GC and they are great fun cars to drive. The former is a huge upgrade to my F10 550i. However, they are no M cars. They are luxury executive cars with performance.

BMW is doing the same with the new 8 series moniker. We all agree it's the new 6 series but the higher number denomination commands a much higher price. Before settling on the M5, I cross shopped the M850i GC. I don't even want to go there. Let's just say I couldn't justify the cost of that car when I can get an M5.
I get where you're coming from, but I don't 100% agree. Because these new mini M cars are pretty potent so you could't really call the M340 slow or the 530 hp M550. I think they are giving customers more choice and a more daily and budget friendly way to enter the M world.

Nobody said anything about Audi S models for years, which have been pretty much the same. Don't know why BMW is getting that much hate for doing the same.
Maybe because the M models sit on the thrown of their class. Not just amongst their own model lineup but also against their competitors. I don't think people necessarily think of the S models in the same light as the M models.

Then couple that with the internal justifications within brand. Everyone with an M has to tell you why it's infinite distance away from the model below it and infinite times better.. no comparison. Then everyone with the model below the M has to be able to quickly explain the hundreds of reasons they didn't get the M version and wouldn't take it even if it was free. It's kind of funny actually lol.
Appreciate 0