Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2022 M5C

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by estoia72 View Post
I do recall reading through that post.
Even if I were to attempt replacing the piece, it’s plastic welded and I would need to remove the entire door panel from what I recall. I’ve had bad experiences with that dating back to my old college beater.

Seems like we’re basically stuck with a scratched piece of trim.
You are correct as to the plastic welding. Unfortunately, it’s either remove the interior door panel or gently pry away the old trim piece and hope nothing breaks inside, and then glue the new trim piece. I’d be way too scared to do that myself, and using the amount of glue required to do that would prevent you from ever being able to pull it away again for a future replacement without destroying the inner trim supports you’d have to glue to.

This is why some people go with AutoTeknic overlay kits, but the reviews from owners here are a mixed bag and generally point to disappointment.

This drove me so insane that I was going to have the interior door panel removed and replace the trim piece as you stated, but fortunately, I got into my next M5 earlier than expected and never had to deal with it. I was also going to do the lid over the cupholders and the whole piece surrounding the iDrive knob also, which at least were replaceable without destruction or damage. That’s the second worst place I had scratches after the driver door trim piece.