View Single Post
      06-09-2021, 08:50 PM   #39
irablumberg
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M5 Competition

I'm still skeptical about the M5 CS vs. the Comp. While the price increment in the US is not all that great when comparing similarly equipped cars, the performance differences seem suspect.

First, all these reviews keep talking about the revised suspension on the CS. But from every review I have read, its sounds like exactly the same revisions that the LCI Comp received. Same amount of drop, same revisions from the M8, etc.

The increase in HP appears to be a simple matter of raising the red-line a few hundred RPM since the torque spec has not changed. This is unlikely to have much impact in the real world, particularly since the increase is about 1.5%.

Finally, the reduced weight of the CS is primarily from 3 things, the carbon brakes (which can be equipped on the regular and Comp M5), the carbon hood (probably only saves 10 to 30 pounds), and the carbon seats (likely saves 100 lbs. but at the expense of only two seats in the back and no massage in the front).

So far, the performance difference between the older non-LCI M5 Comp and the M5 CS is 7 seconds on the 'ring and that is with the CS on track tires versus the Comp on street tires. Before declaring the CS a far superior track tool, I would like to see an updated 'ring time for the LCI Comp (given its new and improved suspension), particularly if it could be run with the same track tires as used by the CS. Let's face it, track tires alone could easily provide a 7 second reduction in 'ring time over the course of 7+ minutes.

Finally, while I love my 2021 M5 Comp, I have to point out that both the AMG GT 63s and the new Porsche Panamera Turbo S are at least 7 to 8 seconds faster on the 'ring than the M5 CS. While both of these cars cost $50K+ more than the M5 CS, they are likely objectively better on track. Part of the reason is that both of those competitors include rear wheel steering. Sadly, BMW opted not to include this on the M5.
Appreciate 0