View Single Post
      08-31-2010, 01:34 PM   #12
Evice
Major
Rep
Drives: E92M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonCSU View Post
Yes, you are right that it is a discipline to keep your hands at 9 and 3 (even while turning) and not move them unless necessary. That is how I was taught and exactly the reason why I would want them stationary. Here are a couple of examples for my reasoning:

While on the street, lets say I'm at a red light waiting to take a left turn. The light changes and I start off in first gear. While part way through the turn, I will shift into 2nd gear to continue accelerating smoothly at a lower RPM (on the track, I definitely wouldn't be shifting mid corner). While driving the 6MT, I think nothing of this shift because I have to take my right hand off the wheel anyway. With the DCT, the wheel was turned left while my hands were still positioned at 9 and 3. My fingertips reached for the right paddle to upshift, then realizing the paddle was around the 11 o'clock position. I suppose I could also use the console shifter in a situation like this.

An example on the track would be when I'm exiting a corner and now accelerating. While exiting the corner, I may still be "unwinding" the car, so I have not yet returned the steering wheel to center, but I am ready for an upshift.
well that's the problem.. by not moving your hands, I meant when your wheels are pointing straight, put 3-9 then never lift them! When you are turning the wheel, keep them where they were at, because 3-9 while wheel was pointing straight, means may be 11-5 while turning right.But if you don't lift them at all, you will see that paddles will be always at your finger tips, at all times. Your hands go around the clock freely with proper sitting position from steering wheel, which is generally your wrists can freely on top of the steering wheel, when your arms semi-flexed.