06-18-2009, 10:07 AM   #21
dmurray14
The Stig
United_States
Rep
Drives: Quickly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrys View Post
It is just half of the story. You can code and reprogram your car without all these expensive equipment but you will be using a low level software which can kill your ECUs if you don't have enough knowledge how to play with it.

Currently the main issue is that you can only use Progman 32.1 as this is the last version of Progman and all later software versions have been moved to ISTA.
In my case I had to buy a good power supply and a cable. The total was around $300 (my car is pre march 2007 so I didn't need the D-CAN bus interface).
It took me around one month to get some basic knowledge and software to perform first coding and I can say you really have to spare a lot of time if you want to do it yourself.
I have updated most of my ECUs and activated some nice features, but I wouldn't recommend anyone doing the same unless you are really an enthusiast with some technical background and a lot of free time.
Glad to seem someone else is messing around, and I agree - I wouldn't suggest anyone do it unless they're familiar with the systems and operation (and know at least a little German!)

Best thing I did was disable the KZL kaltuberwachung - LED license plate lights error-free! Digital-v display is great too!