View Single Post
      04-28-2024, 12:34 PM   #3
tftimbn
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3SQRD View Post
The caliper mounting locations on the hub are different so the same caliper can be used on different rotor OD but the same pad radial depth. Most aftermarket custom caliper adapter brackets are designed to move the caliper more outboard so a larger diameter rotor can be used. I’m not sure if anyone makes a caliper bracket that moves the caliper inboard. Also, the rear brake rotor has an integral barrel for the drum parking brake which may/may not be the same diameter for the f8x and f3x.

The oem blue two-piston rear caliper should be identical between the f8x and f3x. Like I said above, a caliper adapter bracket that moves the caliper inward to work with the f3x 330i smaller rotor OD. I’d use realoem.com to verify whether the drum parking brakes have the same barrel/drum and shoe diameters.
So, from what I've found, 330x20 rotors are the key. These are found on 335/435 F chassis, which have a 185mm e-brake diameter. The F80/F82 also has a 185mm e-brake diameter. I ended up having 330x20 rear rotors on my F10 535i, but those have an electronic parking break. I took the rotor off regardless to verify fitment, and it did fit.

So, I'm looking at 330x20 (actually 330x24 from EBC) spec'd from a 2016 335i. I feel like the answer in this case is to also use calipers and pads from this same car, but you have me thinking about the outward spacing on the hub. If I bolted these calipers to replace my M caliper, wouldn't the pad sit farther away from the rotor then? Does this make sense? Perhaps the solution would be to use 340mm rotors from the 340 m sport?

Trying to find this stuff out without buying and having to return parts.

EDIT:

I identified F30 330 M-Sport, 335i w/o M-Sport, 340 w/o M-Sport all share the same rear 330x20 rotors, calipers, and pads. Autozone P/N's #73046 (rotor) #19-B7217 (R caliper) #
19-B7216 (L caliper) #DG1610 (Pads). So any of these above applications are good for the parts search. However I am still concerned of caliper/pad alignment on the rotor if they are indeed spaced farther from the hub.

I have a buddy who's last 7 of the VIN on realoem.com pointed to the 185mm rear ebrake, which means he should have 330x20 rotors and an M-Sport brake package. I'll see if he will let me borrow a brake setup for test fitting.

Last edited by tftimbn; 04-28-2024 at 12:43 PM..
Appreciate 0