arRod1981
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X5 45e M-Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportstick View Post
This is my first car with an OTA update function. I got the notice last week, coincidentally just a few days before a previously scheduled appointment for the random/unreliable automatic display of parking view when pulling forward. I was surprised by my years-well-trusted SA's advice not to do updates. He described the requirements, such as a level surface (my driveway is slanted up), leaving the car on 20-30 minutes, longer than a time I wish to sit and observe it outside, and the risk of bricking it and having it towed in, as has happened with others of his customers. His philosophy for updates was, "if it's not broken, don't fix it". He did this update as a courtesy (apparently they usually charge unless it's related to a functional issue being fixed), but said if I was happy with how the car was performing, just let it go.
You're SA is wrong about leaving the car running for the update. You exit the vehicle, lock it, and cannot re-enter it for the 20mins it's installing the update. It doesn't notify you to start the update until the vehicle is turned off.
Appreciate 1
EWL5917.50