10-31-2023, 08:02 PM   #89
M5 London
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F90 M5 LCI - Aventurine Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aronis View Post
I just checked the manual I have. I may not have had that when I did the first oil change. There is what I have from current info.

Both drain plug and the oil filter housing are torqued to 40 nm. Sounds high to me. 29 Ft Pounds.

The filter housing of that high sounds odd...but that is what the manual says.

Maybe someone else can chime in.....

Mike
Thanks a lot Mike!

So had an interim oil change today at my independent garage. Car is on 13K miles and is an 04/2021 car.

My mechanic spoke to a friend who is a bmw master technician, actually at the dealership who do did my RIS and then 1st oil service.

They said its 40NM too, but apparently have cracked filter housings getting to that torque level...and now do then 25NM to 30 NM. We torqued mine to 30 NM.

On another note I swapped my original filter housing to the newer style housing with a drain plug, to help to minimise oil spillage when changing filters going forwards...better remind my dealership who will do my next scheduled change in circa 5K miles, to use the new filter element set, which comes with a new drain plug and washer.

Photo of old and new housings if anyone is interested.
Attached Images