View Single Post
      08-07-2023, 08:49 AM   #13
streborx
Major
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X7 M50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by WagonFan View Post

The benefit is that I can control with "battery hold" to use it while I am off the grid and actually approaching wildlife very quietly ...

At times we have to take a rest e.g. in AZ with >100F. Sitting in the car without having the ICE on and still having A/C are real benefits.
Of the many reasons for buying an EV, this is the most unusual that I've ever heard. Many states, including Colorado where I live, have wildlife protection laws that restrict interactions between humans and wildlife. Pursuing a wild animal or herd of animals in a motor vehicle (so you can get that once in a lifetime selfie to post on social media) is regarded as wildlife harassment and is illegal.

In the many years I've lived here, I've seen tourists park illegally on the shoulder of the highway, exit their cars and approach herds of deer, elk, big horn sheep, bison and on one occasion a moose cow and her calf. None of these critters want to be your friend and pose for your camera, which is why there are laws that protect them (and you). Do yourself a favor and buy a tripod and telephoto lens, and keep your distance.

Furthermore, even with a quiet electric motor powered vehicle, your tires will be crunching loudly on the gravel roads.

Regarding high temperatures, if you plan to spend considerable time in triple digit regions, keep records of your charging and range performance. High temps decrease charging and capacity efficiencies of batteries, and we'd all be interested in learning how Phoenix compromises the specifications.
Appreciate 2
WagonFan271.50
cobramite1229.00