08-07-2023, 06:39 AM   #8
gadgetfreak2024
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 50e, 2011 X5 50i M-Sp.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nZtiZia View Post
you will likely find very few, if any, public places with open NEMA 14-50 outlets to plug in your own charging cable for level 2 charging. rather, there will be free-standing EVSE already hardwired into the grid, and the only time you'll use an adapter is when using a Tesla Destination Charger as all other compatible charging stations will have a J1772 connector already
This is entirely my experience too with our 50e. Went on a road trip to the Finger Lakes region of New York State. The hotel had a group of L2 chargers — so those was directly usable unadapted. At a couple other other stops we encountered Tesla destination changers — to be clear, NOT superchargers — and I had a small adapter I had acquired that converted the shape from NACS to J1772. There are a bunch on Amazon and they are very compact so no hassle to carry. Ours is in our center console when not in use. Be aware that superchargers cannot be used at all by my understanding so you might want to study up on the difference between the two Tesla charger types to not go to the wrong place.

The built in navigation helps you find suitable charging locations.

I personally see no reason not to use all electric once you are at your destination if you have access to an L2 and you are just driving around in the area. Of course if you are out for 40+ miles at a time you will have to eventually be hybrid in which case you may choose to drive the entire way in that mode.

I guess if you know you will not have any L2 access you could acquire something like the EVSE from BMW that you showed (assuming you are leaving the one that came with your car at home?) but I would try to spend less and find one that only does 110/120 since to others’ comments it’s highly unlikely you will find an available 240V plug somewhere (unless you are at a campground I guess — but then that’s probably a different adapter?).
Appreciate 1
WagonFan271.50