View Single Post
      08-06-2023, 11:37 PM   #4
aaaaaaaaaz
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 50e (CB/Coffee)

Quote:
Originally Posted by WagonFan View Post
For the reason you mentioned we originally considered the x40i.

I will transition from a working life to life after work and tour the country for weeks/months on a trip. Stay at an Airbnb for a week at a time. We are mainly exploring nature.
For the drive from A to B, I am ok with ICE. During the week of the stay, I would prefer a fully charged car.

The benefit is that I can control with "battery hold" to use it while I am off the grid and actually approaching wildlife very quietly ...

At times we have to take a rest e.g. in AZ with >100F. Sitting in the car without having the ICE on and still having A/C are real benefits.

In addition the environmental effect. That's why we switched to the 50e.
I didn't switch to save money. I would even recharge in CA knowing if will cost more ...

I might be overly optimistic, but I at least want to give it a try. I have seen a growing amount of airbnb, National- and State Parks, Hotels, Camp Grounds and Rest Areas to provide dedicated charging options.

So, please don't talk me out of it. Rather help to find a way to make it work to recharge to the 40 miles within 6 to 8 hours ...
As I mentioned in my reply, a turbocord (https://www.shopbmwusa.com/PRODUCT/5...BOCORD-CHARGER) is one of the most compact and economic solution for your use case, if you'd be OK with 6-8h charging (rather than ~3.5 hours as max possible rate for 50e, with appropriate 32A 220v charging). It is widely available on secondary market (such as marketplace), I bought mine on marketplace at $100. It can take either 110v (available everywhere) at max allowed rate; or 220v(some airbnb does have it, but quite rare) at 16A. I would argue this is a good balance between charging speed and electrical safety, consider you are plugging into unfamiliar electrical outlets from time to time.

For national parks and hotel, most likely charging is provided as a L2 charger (chargepoint or something similar) - you would most likely not need any cable for these. It is quite rare for them to just provide a electrical outlet (with exception of very few RV camping site, but many RV camping site specifically do not allow you to use their electrical hookup for EV charging).

re: Tesla network, their supercharger network is definitely another level (unfortunately 50e cannot accept DC charging); however for tesla destination charger I do not find a very good coverage of these; in my experience there is usually regular L2 charger wherever there is a tesla destination charger; however in your area it might be different. I would not suggest optimize the solution based on Tesla network.

Last edited by aaaaaaaaaz; 08-06-2023 at 11:49 PM..
Appreciate 2
WagonFan271.50
gsquare80.50