First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G80 M3 6mt

Garage List
2023 BMW M3  [0.00]
2021 BMW X5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmerfun82 View Post
I agree - I had the comp X drive which added 200+ lbs over the base manual. An incredibly capable car for daily driving and when driven back to back with a base 992 way more capable and fast and luxurious IMO.

However, I would argue the M3 is completely over the top performance from what the M3 used to be. It isn’t even the same size as the 3 series. What you get for the $ is insane. It really caught me off guard just how powerful the G80 is - after I got through the break-in period - and the penalty is of course the weight and size.

If you want the M3 you had ten or twenty years ago, get the M2. Or get a Z4 and deal with the DD compromises - less practicality - and modify it. This is the decision I’ve arrived at while respecting those who feel they can handle the weight and power of the M3/4. Or get both!
The G8x definitely punches above it's class in terms of performance, I didn't touch on that but I agree completely. But again, it's all relative I feel that most modern cars are way more capable than you would expect them to be.

That said, I don't really think a G87 is the answer if you want the M3 you had that long ago. They weigh almost as much as the M3/M4 in similar configuration - assuming both cars have manual for example. The weight is within like 50 pounds, again, options depending. When you're talking about cars in the 3800-3900 pound range, this is not a big difference that is noticeable in any way. It is a misconception that the M2 is some sort of smaller form factor of any real merit. It's basically just for people who don't want to pay for an M3/4 because they just want the S58 and some performance but don't care about interior niceties and 4 doors or AWD options.

If you want the M3 you had that long ago, the answer is to just buy that M3 and deal with the compromises.
Appreciate 2
DRLane3997.50
SaMaster144502.00