07-09-2023, 05:13 PM   #28
VR1
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon H View Post
I've had a G80 xDrive for a little over a year now as a daily driver and I just picked up my first E92 M3 a few weeks ago (2008). I missed rowing gears and I've always loved the sound of the S65 and it's more simpler design. Although the one I bought I'm discovering needs way more work than I anticipated - oil leaks (OFH and left valve cover), very worn suspension, missing random bolts and undertray covers, EDC faults, broken headlight mount, exhaust leak, etc. Slowly fixing things and returning it to it's former glory.

As a daily driver, it's the G80 hands down. Way easier to drive. Transmission is much improved with the xHP Stage 3 tune and makes the rev match downshifts more snappy. Not quite as fast as DCT, but it's a lot closer. Wish they would've just kept the DCT, lost quite a bit of character going to the ZF imo. Sound is terrible stock, much improved with a midpipe and then back to shit again with downpipes (imo). Maybe it's just the downpipes I installed (catted). Tech is great and makes my commute much more enjoyable. Driving to work in the middle of the night with Driver's Assistance (auto steer/pilot) on the empty freeway saves more energy than I thought it would. Don't tell the wife, but I'm already bored of the car. Probably the fastest I've been bored with a car in a while. It's a great car, but definitely not something I'll look back and regret selling.. just not that special other than it's ability to make great power with simple bolt ons and a tune. I miss my GT-Rs and my GT3 and regret selling them. Would I buy again? Idk, if I have to only have one car and needed the back seats.. maybe.

Dragy 9.7@141mph
I've had a handful of friends get a G80. None are still owners; all of their commentary on the car echoes yours.

One car that interests me is the GT500.. two of the referenced friends switched over to GT500s and they sing songs about how fun that car is to drive from a driver's POV.
Appreciate 2
Jon H396.50