06-25-2023, 02:58 PM   #12
Jlewisinsyr
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 23 MINI Cooper Convertible S

Quote:
Originally Posted by remeeno View Post
my 2 cents

I am replacing my X5 windshield on Monday, at small shop in my neighborhood.
They quoted the aftermarket glass from Pilkington (no HUD) for $600 installation and re-calibration included. For that amount I can afford to replace the windshield every year and still pay considerable less than the glass coverage option on my insurance.

I replaced the OEM glass on my partner's 3 series with Pilkington before and it proves to be several times more resistant than the OEM. I'm located in a state with very high windshield breaking/ chipping incidence.
OEM does not necessarily/ always means best quality out there. Of course, there are other factors people take into consideration when replacing glass.

Considering the quality of the chinese brand FUYAO that has been equipping the X5's for the last 3+ years, no aftermarket glass could be worse, unless it is, of course, another FUYAO (even if endorsed by the bmw logo!)
If you have HUD, I’ll warn you there are a ton of complaints about aftermarket windshields and HUD (including my own). Additional issues come with the adaptive cruise and other sensors with after market windshields. Even beyond HUD, I could tell the quality of the glass visually distinctive between OEM and aftermarket.
Appreciate 0