View Single Post
      06-13-2023, 06:48 PM   #18
F10Mfizzy
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2014 f10 mfizzzzzy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jambo1 View Post
The amount of heat emanating from this engine - even after many hours remaining parked after a drive in the Texas heat - always left questions regarding the longevity of components and materials in the engine compartment. This is unlike any other car I've ever owned.

At 15K miles, fortunately the condition of my coolant tanks still appear excellent - and this is one component I can't help but think is affected by the high heat to some degree, becoming a cumbersome issue for many of us on this platform. There are plenty of reasons for the use of turbo blankets (keeping the cold inlet side of the turbo cooler, faster spool, reducing engine compartment ambient temperatures for potential longer life of components).

The best starting point for proof of benefits stem from a 2016 University of Texas study performed by its Mechanical Engineering department.

The choice between the PTP and Funk Motorsport (U.K.) version of the turbo blanket was not an easy one. The PTP one is more of a shroud that lays over the hot side of the turbos and the following catalytic converters. The Funk Motorsport version encompasses the hot side of the turbos really well. I decided to get the Funk ones, and the quality is excellent.

Pictures of my install follow, but some points to note:

This was a PIA of an install. Tear down was quick, and I had to remove other smaller heat shields protecting the vent pipes from the turbo inlets, wires and tubes, to try to get as many things out of the way. There is just no space in this engine, and getting the blankets installed was just annoying. Using a series of zip ties to get the springs onto the other side aided in actually being able to hook the blankets appropriately. Some people don't use the supplied springs (high quality by the way), and use wire instead, but I really wanted to use the supplied kit as intended and much of it just became a mental challenge to overcome.

I also did not want the cats exposed as there is no way to retain the primary shield once the blankets are on. I decided to cut that shield and retain two of the four mounting points, and did not worry about the stability of the shield in its place because the unit is captured by the cups by way of the oxygen sensors screwed back in. It was pointless solving one problem with the blankets, and not trying to retain that shield and potentially introducing another problem of higher heat with exposed cats at the firewall.

Hope this helps anybody that may want to install turbo blankets. I may replace the modified shield with a modified PTP blanket, or any solution that Funk may offer.

Torque spec for oxygen sensors is 50Nm.

If you don’t mind can you post the exact link for those blankets you used ? I’m interested in them this is a great thread thank you
Appreciate 0