View Single Post
      06-08-2023, 03:32 PM   #17
DO444
Banned
Rep
Drives: 340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by BryanCO View Post
Short backstory. Lots of cars over the years. Number of M cars. Had a F80 M3 manual that I really didn’t care for/connect with and only kept six months. Bought a new Civix Type R in 2019. Sold it (for more than I paid - crazy used car market) in Jan 2022. Got in line (was fourth on the list) in Jan 2022 with my local VW dealer for a Golf R. Bought a 2017 GT350 in March 2022. Dailey drove the car and sold it in Feb 2023. Bought a e92 M3 in Feb 2023.

The Golf R allocations are coming spec’ed so cannot select color or transmission. Got a call in March for the Golf R but it was a DSG, 20th anniversary. Passed on the R due to wanting a manual only. Decided on a G80 manual. Got an allocation the end of May but passed to get a MY24. My dealer didn’t get any June allocations last week but I’m still next which is expected to be late June for an August build. Build in place. Individual, buckets.

Unexpectedly got a call re the Golf R. Lapiz Blue 20th anniversary manual is on a ship and will be here mid July. Mine if I want it.

Both at MSRP. Once PPF’ed, the G80 will be about 2X the cost of the Golf R. Can afford either. Car will be my daily driver.

What to do…
If it were me, and this was my only car, I’d probably get the golf R.

Here’s why, I just met a young high school kid who had a ground up rebuilt hard top 60’s mustang in fire orange with some boss black muscle car wheels, the fat five spoke spade design, no clue what brand. The car was so hot. It was compact, looked incredible, sounded incredible.

The interior was done up very nicely and his sound system was on another planet compared to what the m3 comes with. I was in my 22’ 718 and I was absolutely envious of his ride. He was a very nice kid, let me sit in it, and hear the system he had… what a car. He said he was a bit surprised because he doesn’t get many compliments from Porsche owners. Well, money is nice but I respect hard work too and that kid is giving me hope for the future. Building awesome cars with his dad before he even graduates high school. What a great life!

We can’t all be that blessed, but back to your question.

You could have the golf R and that car, a genuine 60’s hard top mustang, for the price of the m3. If your budget allows you up to the cost of the m3, that’s what I would do.

Assuming you don’t have the time, inclination, or ability to do what that fine young man has done, then there are still options out there for you, for example you could have the new golf R and a used 718 s, manual… or even a really nicely preserved old school mini which I saw recently for around $50kish, what a cool car.

I really needed a family car, which is what the m3 is for me. If I didn’t, I wouldn’t have bought it. I’ve been through this ad nauseum, and the m3 is a cool fast car, but it just does not have the feel of a lighter sports car and that’s ok because I’m getting that elsewhere. What the m3 does have that a base 718 does not is interior space and speed, lots and lots of damn fast easy speed. And, it looks cool too (to me).

I think the golf R will be great. I think it will be fast, tossable, and allow you a lot of budget room left for another cool car. Two cool cars are better than one imo.

If you really love bmw, have only 1 garage slot, or for whatever reason have your eye set on the m3 and that’s it then by all means get it, it’s a truly great car. No regrets I’m sure.

I could have bought a gently used Ferrari or a nice 911 for roughly the same cost as my m3 and 718 (a bit more, but not by much), but I think 2 cars are better than one. I enjoy the different driving dynamics of both vehicles and think I’m happier having these two cars, than one expensive car that’s at the top of my budget.

I’m actually coming around rather quickly to buying base model cars with select options you love, rather than top of the line trim, optioned out cars too… but that’s another story. I would probably stay away from anniversary editions, or Jahre, or “cs” cars in the future as I don’t think the premium is worth it.

But, that’s me.
Whatever you get I’m sure you’ll enjoy it. Doesn’t sound like you have any bad choices there.
Appreciate 3
M3SQRD2478.50
Tano22150.50
ando2006.00