ResIpsaLoquitur
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2022 M5C

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by micvite View Post
As someone who owns a shop that does accept various forms of warranties (like silver rock for carvana) its not that they don't get paid, it's that it's a fairly tedious process to get the stuff approved, you have to call in, explain what it is, tell them how many hours and parts it's gonna be, then some kid looks at a chart and says sure! Or sorry we'll only give you 31 hours to pull the motor instead of the 44 you're asking, then a bunch of back and forth explaining why I think i need 44 and why they say they only will give me 31 then we settle in the middle at like 37.5 after a 2 hour debate and much emails back and forth with various labor guides and trying to explain to someone thats never done an oil change why it takes longer than what the warranty sheet says (say add time for rust). Say something else is found during teardown, everything has to stop, call in again to supplement the estimate, repeat whole process. That and dealers charge customers anywhere from 120-250$ an hour, chances are they're getting 55-85 an hour for the warranty work plus no markup on parts where most mechanics make most of their profit anyway (since it's literally just money in their pocket). To put it in simpler terms it's like your doctor dealing with your health insurance, gotta get the pre-certification to do any treatment and some hs kid gets to decide whether the treatment gets done and how much they'll get paid for it😂

Depends how busy the dealership is, if they have nothing they'll kiss your feet for a big warranty job, otherwise? They'll tell you to come back in 3 months in [...]
Thanks for sharing this. You much more artfully explained in detail what I meant when I said the dealership will always find a way to make money on it. Book hours (or approved book hours I should say perhaps) vs. how many hours it actually takes you to do it seems to be the (not so) secret sauce.