View Single Post
      02-08-2023, 07:39 AM   #7
pbonsalb
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 18 F90 M5, 99 E36 M3 Turbo

The no risk sizes are 285/295 from all the research I have done. 295/305 may require fiddling with spacers depending on wheel offset, alignment, tire brands since the same size tires can vary from one brand/model to another, and ride height. You won’t find any definitive answers on 295/305 — the experiences vary and issues have been reported for both front and rear. For a lightly loaded car not lowered much, I think the problems will be the front, and mostly at significant turning angles that you may be able to avoid in routine driving if you are mindful.

305 effectively lengthen the rear drive ratio from 3.15 to 3.09. Better for fuel economy, worse for torque multiplication. I believe the front to rear difference increases more significantly over stock than the 285/295 difference, but it has been a while since I looked up all the sizes on a tire calculator. The front to rear difference is probably programmed into the traction control and ABS, so deviating would theoretically affect the reactions of those controls. Some also say deviating much more than stock can damage the AWD system. I have not read any reports of that actually happening on these cars, though.
Appreciate 2