View Single Post
      02-05-2023, 09:39 PM   #33
shawnhayes
Major
Rep
Drives: 22M5 CS,23X5E,24M3 CS,24 i4

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbonsalb View Post
I am not sure that spec is the only relevant spec in comparing 2 oil weights. I do agree there is probably not much difference that batters among oils in the 0W30 to 5W40 range in specs that are suitable for these motors.
But it's what EVERYONE complains about. The "anecdotal" stuff I've seen so far....(in this thread and others)
It looks thinner than water...
Can't be thick enough to protect the bearings...
I'm not putting that thin stuff chosen for MPG into my car...

So you're right. It's not the only relevant spec. But it's the ONLY one most people talk about. Somebody wants to start to bring up VI, HTHS, sulfated ash content, bring it. But REALLY everybody only brings up "can't be thick enough, cause it was chosen for low friction and higher MPG". Really. 12.18 vs. 12.8 - I'm glad that no one drastically changes their viscosity that much, but I doubt they really know how little they're addressing what they REALLY need to talk about if they cared. Additive package. HTHS durability. Flash point. Pour point. Vapor pressure. THESE are the things that are really meaningful for long term protection. And some of them are REALLY hard to measure.

I just think it becomes a moot point very quickly. Less "open minded" owner sites become mudslinging fests and get closed threads for these. It becomes people arguing about how they FEEL, not real objective data.

Shawn
Appreciate 0