View Single Post
      01-29-2023, 06:03 PM   #146
micvite
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 mazda RX8

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawnhayes View Post
You're WAYYYY overthinking that first part. Alaska vs. Florida, yeah, there's definitely some validity to that. But there's a breakpoint on the lower vs. higher viscosity somewhere. But that's okay, we can disagree. But there is a weight below which emissions and fuel mileage will go UP because of wear. I don't know where that is. Don't wanna find out either.

And on the temperature when I track? Never EVER goes above 250. Never ever. My old GT-R, sure. Cooling for that car was inadequate. BMW has gotten it right. I've never been able to get any of the temps over normal driving around temps. Some people have. No idea why, other than I don't drive in July much anymore. One of my crew (traveling buddies who meet up at various tracks) nearly died at a NASA event at VIR in his GT3 with no air conditioning. We just don't do July much anywhere (northern tracks we still do, but Summit Point in August last year was nearly unbearable)

And on the last part, there's NO WAY you can tell a hot 30 weight vs. a hot 40 weight by the way it runs out of the drain plug. Unless you're sitting there with a stopwatch and you measure it. The Mach-1 eyeball ain't that good. It just isn't. At zero deg F, maybe. But not hot, not even at zero deg F outside temp. If we're just gonna eyeball it, then all the science goes right out the window.

Shawn
At the performance center in 70 degree weather I was able to put the m5s into limp mode due to overheating, had both coolant and oil almost in the red, redline came down to 4k rpm so it's definitely possible.

To a certain degree you're right about the science simply because I can't guarantee it was even the same exact temp, or even close for that matter or even if it was I can't guarantee I didn't do something a bit different, but just feeling the hot oil on my hand and seeing the way it drips off you can definitely tell there's a difference.
Appreciate 0