01-26-2023, 01:22 PM   #9
micvite
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 mazda RX8

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjjjjjjjjjjjj View Post
Hey guys,
I'm not writing to report any issue but to start a discussion. After few years since the model was introduced what do you guys think about its reliability?

I have mixed feelings: there are "stock" cars that blow engine after some stupid low mileage and there are also "tuned" cars that run for months/years without any issues.

We all know BMW has a bad PR for V8 engines after the F10 model where you had to service it almost always after 100,000 km's but how it is with F90?

I personally own F90 for 5 years now with 70,000km's driven (2018 model) and I didn't have any issues except BDC error after badly coded retrofit rearlights.

Looking at the used cars market I have found at least few M5 that have engines replaced at similar or higher mileage.

So what are your thoughts?
You say that like the e60 with the v10, the e9x with the v8, the e39 with the v8 didn't all have their issues lol... every car, every engine not just bmw has issues. Non m cars suffer terribly from valve stem seals, timing components, m cars suffer from timing, rod bearings, crank hubs, etc. (Dare i mention the throttle bodies on the e60 and e9x?) E46 suffered from oil pump nuts coming off and timing again. Vanos issues galore. Mercedes? Supercharger bearings on the e55s, head bolts on all the amgs. Audi? Plastic timing chain components, timing in the back making it an engine out service.

It's just how things are, it's cost vs performance, if it lasts 50k miles so the warranty is up they're happy. First owner is usually happy after the lease is up and they turn it in for the new toy and the second third 5th owner gets left with the problems.
Appreciate 0