View Single Post
      11-11-2022, 07:38 AM   #132
pbonsalb
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 18 F90 M5, 99 E36 M3 Turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by boost3dx View Post
Some do sure, but I'd bet a vast majority of the high end after market companies R&D and manufacture their own products. Example: Dinan, eventuri, pretty much any major wheel company, BMW M Performance, etc etc
Yes, they prototype (PG may have worked with RK for that), send to China for manufacturing, where it then gets copied and eventually copies of copies that American and other companies buy and mark up and sell to you. Years ago, I helped XS Power prototype some BMW exhaust parts and it was not long before copies were being sold. Hard to patent an intake or exhaust pipe.

Dinan does not own any factories in China or have staff on the ground there (though I think Dinan does a decent job at quality control). Apple does. But even Apple owns very little manufacturing. Most is outsourced. What separates the good companies from the rest is quality control and customer service and it makes sense to try to buy from the companies that are good at both if it is a part likely to need servicing. I don’t see any need to spend $3500 on downpipes when the $600 ones do the same job just as reliably.
Appreciate 1
Melo_F90178.00