08-14-2022, 10:45 AM   #7
irablumberg
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M5 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbonsalb View Post
That was my first thought but staggered 275/285 snows in 20” are hard to find right now. Maybe winter stock is not out yet? Tire Rack has the Pirelli at about $450 each. I don’t love the Pirelli snows — I have a set on my 21 Cayenne S and they are only OK rather than great. I am pretty sure those bare a different model, so maybe the ones for the M5 are better.

I do see Vredstein in 275/35/20 for around $275 each and I could run a square set on my stock 20s. But if I am really unimpressed with the dry traction I get from my current 265 snows on my 19x9.5, I doubt the 275s will make me happy though they would be on bigger staggered wheels and the width and lower profile would firm them up. Of course, snow traction goes down when you go wider and lower profile.

Maybe I will wait a couple of months to see if 20” snow tire availability improves. I don’t have to do anything but this pretty much worthless set of stock 20” wheels that I will have once my new wheels arrive in a week or 2 got me thinking about how I could put them to use.
Just to clarify, for some reason, the only place that I could find the Pirelli snow tires in stock size for the M5 was at a BMW dealer. No one else (Tire Rack, Discount Tire, etc.) ever carried or offered the tires in this size. BMW may have some sort of exclusive deal with Pirelli on these tires. In any case, my dealer gave me a decent price that was competitive with Tire Rack pricing on similar high end snow tires.
Appreciate 0