Used2be
Perennial PFC
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 M5 DG/Aragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbonsalb View Post
Any tips or tricks?
The only surprise for me was getting the shock out of what BMW calls the spring strut holder in the front suspension. Hadn’t dealt with that type of system before and didn’t realize how much I had to lever down, I guess it was the hub, with a long pry bar to get the detached output shaft low enough to allow the strut holder to clear so it could be removed. My memory is hazy, it’s been a couple of years, but I think I jury rigged a loop of rope around the hub in some way so the pry bar could pivot on a jack stand inboard of the suspension, with the short end pressing up onto a solid part of the undercarriage of the car, while I pressed down on the end by the hub that went through the loop. That gave me room to release the strut holder. Without the pry bar I was about an inch away from achieving release.

I remember calling my friendly service manager at the dealership, and he asked his mechanic. They just pry it down he said, and it worked. They might have a more sophisticated system….I hope!

You sound like you have a proper lift to work on, but my version was done with the car only about 21” off the floor on a QuickJack. But you’ll find a way once you know you need enough clearance. I printed out instructions from newtis in 2019, and glad I did. The prying wasn’t mentioned, only “Feed out and remove the spring strut holder downward.” But at least they covered the basics.
Appreciate 0