View Single Post
      06-15-2022, 05:26 PM   #34
micvite
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 mazda RX8

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawnhayes View Post
For the most part, you're right. But, it's pretty straightforward, a 10W-30 is the most stable oil over time. The 0W-30 gives it better winter flow characteristics but sacrifices some stability. Adding the 40 makes it thicker for high stress use, but the bearings and clearance have to be built for it. Of course, there's a break point somewhere. If thicker=better, why not a 0W-100? Who knows where it is? The engineers who made the car have the most testing under their belts.

I just wanted to know why that oil and that weight. Wanted to catch the reasoning.

Shawn
Yeah, I do 5 40 since I drive the car every day so it doesn't sit for too long, as well as the fact it's like 90-100 every time I start it up🤣🤣. But I go 40 because I literally beat the shit out of my cars, so I feel better about doing it knowing my oil isn't frothy haha. I'd argue that generally thicker is better but yeah there's always a limit haha and depends on climate and other things, I wouldn't run 5w40 in Siberia during the winter for example lol id argue even 0w30 is a bit thick under those circumstances🤣🤣.
Appreciate 1
GAMA949.50